Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, a place to explore and learn about the experience of running a psychiatric practice. I post about things that I find useful to know or think about. So, enjoy, and let me know what you think.


Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Bipolar Image

A reader kindly sent me a link to a research graphic on bipolar disorder that she helped to create, from a site called, "TopCounselingSchools.Org", which provides information about degrees available in counseling. I know nothing about the site, but I liked the image, so I'm sharing it with you.

The Highs and Lows of Bipolar Disorders

It's a really nice graphic. Visually appealing, not glaring, not too much information in one place, nothing blinking at you, information organized into clearly defined sections, just enough information to get you started, provides its sources. I can't vouch for the stats, but they seem about right.

The whole image is too large for this post, so here's a piece of it:



The one thing I found confusing is that in the first section, there's this:



It's one of several general statistics in that section.

Then, in the next section, there's this:




The American statistic above is one of the first you come across. By the time I got to the second section, I'd forgotten that I'd already read the stat for America, and I started looking for it, and was confused when I couldn't find it. I eventually (like 10 seconds) figured it out.  The only thing I'd change would be to repeat the American figure with the others in this section, since the type of display is different from the original one. This is really just me being fussy and weird. It's a great graphic.

So check it out.

And thanks to the reader who sent it. I don't know if she wanted her name listed or not, so if she does, I'll update this post.