Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, a place to explore and learn about the experience of running a psychiatric practice. I post about things that I find useful to know or think about. So, enjoy, and let me know what you think.


Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Percentages


Across Gorgoroth, Ted Nasmith


I'm deep into crunch time for my MOC exam, which is next week. Do I feel adequately prepared? No. Or, well, it's hard to say. I'm relying on the Beat the Boards practice questions to be representative of actual questions on the exam.

It occurred to me recently that when I studied for the initial certification written exam, I had old PRITEs to use for sample questions. Now I don't. When I check on Amazon, there are a bunch of books for the initial exam, but none for the re-certification. And they're different exams, in that they cover different topics, e.g. no Neuro on the MOC, so I can't just use those question sets. 

I've been keeping a running list of factoids that I think I should remember, including a bunch of statistical facts. Kinda hard to retain them. My memory is adequate to the task, but I don't like memorizing. Maybe it's my math background, but I much prefer to remember a few basic principles, from which I can deduce what I need to know. That approach went out the window in medical school, but I'm still wistful.

So here's my list, in no particular order, of stats for the MOC. If writing them again helps me remember them, great. If other people find them useful, great. If not, well, what can I say.


5-10% of whites are poor CYP 2D6 metabolizers.

10% of patients with bulimia are male.

20-50% of erectile disorders have an organic basis.

PCOS in 10% of patients taking valproate.

80-100% of pedophiles describe themselves as heterosexual.

Schizophrenia:
1% of the general population
8% of non-twin sibling
12% 1 parent
12% dizygotic twin
40% 2 parents
47% monozygotic twin
30% of patients who are compliant with meds relapse

A patient who is hospitalized with a first episode MDD has a 50% chance of recurrence in 5 years.

EtOH:
8.5% of Americans meet criteria for EtOH Use D/O (DSM 5)
Lifetime prevalence of alcohol dependence (DSM-IV) is 12.5%.
With treatment, 50-60% maintain abstinence after 1 year
20% get better without treatment
20% never get better
DTs in 30% of patients with EtOH w/d seizures
15-20% mortality in untreated DTs.

90-95% of tobacco users relapse within the first six months of quitting

25% of patients with autism develop seizures by adolescence

5-10% of Alzheimer's patients develop the disease before age 65

25% of hospitalized medically ill patients with delirium will die within 6 months of discharge

10% develop a benign rash on lamictal

Borderline:
Suicide 9-10%
50-70% with h/o physical or sexual abuse

There is evidence of substance use in 50% of drivers killed in MVAs.


Please be liberal with comments and corrections.