Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, a place to explore and learn about the experience of running a psychiatric practice. I post about things that I find useful to know or think about. So, enjoy, and let me know what you think.


Sunday, November 22, 2015

Couch

I notice that after I've written a post, or a series of posts, that required a large investment of time and emotion, I get blog burnout. It's not that I'm not interested in posting as much as I can't think of anything I want to write about.

So instead of just waiting around for several weeks, I thought I'd try doing something light.

The thing is, I hate my analytic couch. It's not the one I started with. That would be this one:


The Barcelona Daybed by Mies van der Rohe. Mine was a knockoff, but it basically looked the same. It's comfortable and it looks good, but a couple years ago, I had to make a last minute move to a new office because the people I was subletting from didn't realize they had a demolition clause in their lease. Long story.

I found a new office quickly. It's quite small, but otherwise, I love it. Great neighborhood, great building, great office setup, great office-mates. It would be perfect if it were a little larger.

But it isn't, and I had to get a new couch because the old one was too big for the space.

What I got was something I think of as a placeholder, even though I've had it for four years. It's a modern curved chaise with a chrome base in a whitish, tufted synthetic leather. I had very specific dimension requirements, and it was the best I could do at short notice, but I just don't like the thing.

Still, I haven't been able to find a suitable replacement, which hasn't stopped me from looking and virtual window-shopping. I've found a lot of beautiful couches, but thus far, nothing that will work in the space. Still, a girl can dream.

Here are some of my favorite couches, and I'll save the best for last:


The DWR Midcentury Modern Lounge


The Maxime Daybed from Jonathan Adler



The Danner Chaise, also from Jonathan Adler



This 1950's number by Paul McCobb



This very simple piece I found on Flickr



This Adrian Pearsall that sold on ebay



This one that sold on 1st Dibs


This beautiful William Haines Piece


This Ash Lounge Chair I found on Overstock. It's too red, but I still like it.



This lovely and conceptually simple piece.



And finally, the big reveal of my absolute favorite:



The stunning Ash Crescent Lounge from Vonnegut Kraft.