Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, a place to explore and learn about the experience of running a psychiatric practice. I post about things that I find useful to know or think about. So, enjoy, and let me know what you think.


Sunday, January 6, 2013

And How Does That Make You Feel?

We've been through a lot of E/M coding together. Figured out how to do some of it. Fumpfed other parts.

But tell me, how do you really feel about the new system?

I hate it, myself, but what I'm really having trouble with is why it exists. Saying that the only way Psychiatry can have parity with Medicine is by billing the same way is like saying the only way Psychiatry can have parity with Medicine is if psychiatrists listen to patients' hearts and lungs and bellies like internists.
It doesn't follow. It's different work.

I'm running on the assumption that someone, somewhere, is making money off this. But I don't know who or where. Or, for that matter, how. I guess the insurance companies will be reimbursing less, because not every session can be a 99215. But the insurance companies are always finding ways to reimburse less. I don't think they're the prime movers, in this case.

I'd be happy to hear people's thoughts about the topic.

And please link over to a poll on Shrink Wrap about the new coding system.