Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, a place to explore and learn about the experience of running a psychiatric practice. I post about things that I find useful to know or think about. So, enjoy, and let me know what you think.


Friday, June 28, 2013

Op-Ed Follow Up

In my last post, How Does This Help?, I linked to an invitation to a dialogue in the NY Times. Responses were supposed to be submitted by Thursday, with publication in the Sunday Dialogue.

As a reminder, the topic is, Gender Identity.

I'm doing a little experiment, here, to see if I can predict some of the responses. Note the date on the post. This was not written after the fact.


1. I/my child suffered from gender dysphoria, and treatment was helpful.

2. I/my child suffered from gender dysphoria, and treatment was harmful.

3. Gender dysphoria is complicated, and Dr. Drescher did a good job explaining the controversy about treatment.

4. Gender dysphoria is complicated, and Dr. Drescher did a bad job explaining the controversy about treatment.

5. Psychiatry/Psychiatrists is/are evil.

6. I'm a therapist who treats gender dysphoria, and my method of treatment is the best.

The Times likes to present a "balanced" view. Let's see what happens.