Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, a place to explore and learn about the experience of running a psychiatric practice. I post about things that I find useful to know or think about. So, enjoy, and let me know what you think.


Friday, April 24, 2015

MOC Survey Results

I've now closed my MOC survey on SurveyMonkey, so let's talk about the responses. There were 11, which is nowhere near as pathetic as previous surveys I've conducted. To those of you who responded, you have my thanks.

To those who didn't, there will always be opportunities down the line, so you didn't miss out too much.

As a reminder, this was a one question survey, and that question is:

Would you be willing to openly boycott the ABPN and refuse to pay the annual C-MOC fee until the Part IV requirement is removed and an effort is made to demonstrate the usefulness of a 10 year exam?

And now, the big reveal:



Most of the people who responded to my survey would be willing to boycott. Since I limited myself to one question, I don't know why the person who wouldn't be willing to boycott feels that way. Or for that matter, why the other 10 feel the way they do.

It might have been interesting to get that information, but my sense is that the shorter the survey, the more likely people are to respond.

What now? I don't know. If the survey is representative of the greater population of C-MOC psychiatrists, then it would be worth trying to organize something. But there's obviously no way to know if it is.

To be honest, I'm a little sad thinking about it. I feel like I don't have the motivation or energy (or time) to push for something organized and bigger, but maybe I would if I thought more people would join me. And I'm guessing that's the way a lot of us feel.

So maybe we stage our own little, individual protests by not paying the annual fee, but we're not formally together as a group, so maybe it doesn't have that much impact. Or maybe money talks regardless of whether the same amount is being withheld by one large collective, or by individuals.

It still feels kind of isolated.

What would you do with this?