Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, a place to explore and learn about the experience of running a psychiatric practice. I post about things that I find useful to know or think about. So, enjoy, and let me know what you think.


Friday, July 10, 2015

Switching the Labels

For no particular reason I can discern, I took my current ABPN Board Certificate off my wall today, and turned it over to see if I could figure out a way to simply replace the little rectangle that states my certification expires at the end of this year.

Certainly this was prompted by not wanting to put up the new certificate, which I wrote about in Signed, Sealed, Delivered. But why today I have no idea.

Anyway, this is what I saw on the back:



Sorry for the crummy iPhone photo-I hope you can read it. The main points are that these are instructions for adding "Future Recertification Labels", and the backing removes easily for the replacement of the label.

I guess I hadn't looked at the back of the thing in quite some time, because I couldn't remember why I thought all I'd have to do when I got recertified was replace the little rectangle.

But this is why. The plan was clearly to have a recertification label every 10 years. NOT, mind you, a big, galumphing new certificate that wags its finger at readers as if to say, "Your doctor had better cough up the annual fee and do those PIP modules, otherwise she'll lose her certification and your care will be compromised and she'll be very, very bad!"

So now, I'm just going to remove the old label, and replace it with a decorative swatch of my choosing.

These are some possibilities:











I'm looking for suggestions, so pipe up with ideas.

3 comments:

  1. A used band aid...perfect metaphor

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the mustache.

    Want to comment on this? The cartoon by Brian Zaboski about the problem with psychoanalysis? It's in the letters section of the NYT yesterday responding to last week (or two weeks ago?) magazine section on mental health, midway down in this link: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/12/magazine/the-6-28-15-issue.html. I have spent a number of (wasted) years with a psychoanalyst and find it very true. Would love if you could un-justify it - very curious about what you would say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link. First, I want to reference my post, Analytic Evidence, http://psychpracticemd.blogspot.com/2015/03/analytic-evidence.html
      to help further the idea that psychoanalysis "works". The long-term outcomes are much better than those seen with meds or CBT. And by long-term outcomes, I mean that people continue to improve after they end their analyses.
      I'm a big believer in "neuro power", but we don't know as much as we'd like to think we know. See, for example: http://archpsyc.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1107236

      That said, analysis isn't appropriate for everyone or every problem.
      Additionally, not every analyst is good, and even a good analyst may not be a good match for a particular patient. A lot is dependent on the dyad.
      Finally, there's a lot of variation in what constitutes psychoanalysis. There are different opinions about the frequency, the use of the couch, the nature of the analyst/analysand relationship, transference, unconscious elements, conflict. The list goes on. I happen to have trained in a fairly traditional model-it suits me, and I think I work best that way. But an individual style of analysis may not be right for a particular patient, while some other style might be.
      I hope that addresses some of what you were asking.

      Delete