Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, a place to explore and learn about the experience of running a psychiatric practice. I post about things that I find useful to know or think about. So, enjoy, and let me know what you think.


Saturday, November 10, 2012

Moving


I've had to move to a new office three times since I started my private practice. The last time, in particular, was really harrowing, because I found out I needed to move about three weeks before I actually did move.

No, I wasn't behind on my rent. My office was one of three in the suite, and I rented, or I guess, sublet, my office from the other two people, who jointly held the lease (completely legal, BTW). The suite was in a commercial building, and apparently, they had a "demolition clause" in the lease, which stated that the building could decide to demolish the suite, with very little notice, if it felt like it.

It did feel like it. It seems a lowly therapy office doesn't bring in the kind of money that a corporate client does. They basically knocked out the entire floor, on which there were a number of small businesses, including psychotherapists. I understand some of them may be suing. Not my problem.

Bottom line, I had to find a place and move in a hurry, so I thought it might be a good idea to record what was involved in that process, including searching for a new office, and all the changes of address involved.

To start off, I thought I'd list what I would want in my ideal office. I'll probably never have all my wishes come true, but I can dream. And I can even come close.

Ground floor of a residential building with a doorman.
Either no buzzer system, or a silent one.
Bathroom in the suite.
Even better, my own bathroom, in addition to the one in the suite.
Comfortable waiting room.
Air conditioner unit-a quiet one.
Heat I can shut off.
Good natural light.
Good sound insulation.
Nice sized office-not too big, not too small.
Reasonable rent, if I'm renting
I'd love to be the primary renter, or own the space.
Closet in the office.
Kitchen facilities in the suite-microwave, refrigerator, electric kettle.

I got some of the things I wanted. And I do love my new office, even though it's small, has lousy, make that no, natural light, has no closet, no private bathroom, there's no microwave, and there's central air. And I don't own it, and I'm not the primary renter. But maybe in a couple years I'll be able to have it all.

Or not. I really don't want to move again.